Sunday, October 19, 2014

Easy Homemade Caramel



Today is Andrew's birthday! Later on we are having some family over for pumpkin pie & apple cider floats to celebrate. Fall is his favorite season, so I'm glad he has an October birthday {mine is in March, and typically really gross, cold, wet, weather around here!} Today I am thankful that it is crisp and sunny, and I'm thankful for my husband.

For our get-together later on, Andrew's mom is bringing the pie and I'm in charge of the floats. I got vanilla ice cream, ginger ale, apple cider, and whipped cream for them. Should be tasty! Here is the recipe I used to make caramel {which I plan to drizzle on top of the whipped cream}

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 stick butter



I put everything into a saucepan over medium heat until it all melted. Then I brought it to a boil and set the timer for 10 minutes. You're supposed to let it sit for the full 10 minutes without stirring, but with 4 minutes to go I put my rubber spatula in because I was nervous that it would burn on the bottom. Luckily it wasn't burnt! I reduced the heat a little while it cooked, but kept things hot enough to maintain the bubbling. When the timer went off I slowly stirred it with the spatula, then let it cool before transferring it to a jar. Hopefully it will be tasty on the floats. {And good for apple dipping, too!}

Have a good Sunday, DIYers!

No comments:

Post a Comment