Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Kitchen. (Alternate title: A War Zone)

This is what our kitchen used to look like:



The appliances came with the house, and they are mismatched. We always said the first thing that broke would give us reason to buy a new matching set. A month ago the dishwasher stopped working, so we stuck to our guns and picked out a new fridge, stove, range and microwave. They'll be delivered in two days.

Before the new stuff arrives, I decided to fulfill my longtime goal of painting the cabinets & adding some bead board accents. The cabinetry is in perfect shape, so we can't justify pitching it. A little paint goes a long way. I'm using the same primer & paint combo as the fireplace. I frequently have paint in my hair these days, but it's worth it. Here are some progress shots:

We labeled the doors and hardware for easy reinstall later.

I listened to the Serial podcast while I worked. So addicting!

Check out the covered up sink. Things are in shambles!

We picked out a new pedant light for over the sink, and we have to make a shelf above the stove for the microwave. Andrew has to do some electrical work there that I secretly hope takes place in my absence.

Once the cabinets have been completed, we'll be able to pick out a new countertop and add backsplash. Not sure about the counters yet, something stone but not granite…? {And we'll be paying professionals to measure, cut & install it} The backsplash will be subway tile, which we can do ourselves. Oh, and remember the Pergo? It's still hanging around. We'll be putting that in the kitchen, too.

Thanks for checking up on us. I'll keep you all posted on the final transformation!

1 comment:

  1. It's going to look soooo good! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete